Sunday, October 27, 2013

Trick or Treat - Disney Style

For those that don't know, I'm a little Disney-obsessed.  I worked a Disney Entertainment Internship directly following my college graduation, and then had a Cinderella themed Wedding (after a castle proposal, naturally).  It's no surprise that I've visited Disneyland a few times.  This last year, I bought an annual pass and vacationed at Disneyland 4 times - Christmas, Valentine's Day, Disney Magic Music Days (my dancers did an AMAZING job performing in Disney's California Adventure park), and finally...Halloween!  My parents and siblings have trick or treated a time or two at Disneyland, and I've viewed pictures on the Book of Face with friends who have also donned Halloween garb and received some candy, and that made the Halloween trip even more desirous to me. 

This year, I was fortunate enough to attend Disneyland's Trick or Treat Party with my two boys and parents in tow.  I wanted our costumes to be easy to make and easy to transport on an airplane, but I also wanted our costumes to be GOOD.  I didn't want to buy an expensive, store bought costume that every other child would have.  I started to research some ideas, and I came across an adorable picture of a homemade Mary Poppins, Bert, and a dancing penguin from the Jolly Holiday scene of Mary Poppins.  Now, there was no way that I would be able to sew the elaborate costumes that I saw (I don't sew) but I really believed that we could pull off this look!  I only had a little over a week to pull it altogether, so I started my search...

I found a vintage, child's jacket on Etsy which sealed the deal.  If I could get that jacket in time, I could make Mary Poppins work.
Wah-Lah!  Thank you to IvoryBerry on Etsy for this fabulous jacket - and for shipping it so quickly!

The only store in my neck of the woods is a KMart, and by sheer luck I found ONE penguin costume, size 2T.  This costume trio was coming together better than I had anticipated.  After some thrift shopping, with no luck, I went to my mom's house and questioned her about past costumes (she has a wide variety of costumes that she's sewn, collected, or purchased) and I magically started completing all of the necessary parts to complete our look.  My dress was a dress I wore when I was 16 years old, going on 17, in a community production of The Sound of Music.  I can't believe we got it to zip up!  My mom had a white wedding hat in her collection and a Dapper Dan hat for my little Bert to wear.  Oh, and I also took out some off white ankle boots that I wore in Oklahoma my junior year of high school.  I picked up some red fabric to wrap around my waist and safety pinned a bunch of red ribbon bows around the bottom of the dress.  I also purchased tulle to place around my head.  I bought white pants for lil' Bert and a white, collared shirt.  I used a bow tie already in his collection (I decided that I didn't need to match the color scheme exactly).  The last thing to complete our look was a black bow-tie for the waiter penguin which we bought at a Halloween store (my only Halloween store purchase this year).  I was very happy with the outcome - and we received MANY compliments.  Not too shabby for a week and a half preparation!













No comments:

Post a Comment